Saturday, December 01, 2007

Bellingham by the Bay, Northside, December 2007

Bellingham by the Bay

It's unclear when or even if Original Joe's, the jewel of San Francisco's Tenderloin, will open its doors again. "It's not so much the damage incurred by the fire," says OJ's owner, the inimitable Marie Duggan, "the water damage is unbelievable." ... Where will all those cops, lawyers, and prosecutors have lunch? ... Mayor Gavin declined a touch of the creature from a gregarious Aer Lingus exec at a City Hall reception last month. "I can't drink right now," the Mayor explained ruefully. He added, "God's delays are not God's denials." ... John Gollin was double-parked on Fillmore St. in Pacific Heights, and it took no time at all for a parking control officer to get a tag on his windshield. On discovery of this, John lost his temper. They had words. John launched into colorful invective at the ticket-writer. As she drove away, a wave of guilt washed over him. He decided to find the meter maid and apologize. He went around and around the streets for about a half-hour. He finally located her. He apologized profusely to her. Impressed, she offered to cancel the ticket. "No, no," John cried, "I deserve the ticket!" She disagreed, and insisted on tearing the ticket up. John would not relent. They had words. "I want to you to write the ticket," he demanded. But John lost the argument for a second time. He did not get his ticket. Merry Christmas to that parking control officer. Cheer up, John. ...

Hat Lady Ruth Dewson never minces words. She placed a sign in her Fillmore Street shop, "Obama, you're black enough for me!" ... Sasha Stolz is also caught up in the political season but confesses that "it's hard to tell the the difference between Dick Cheney & Lon Chaney." ... Someone's been tagging the sculpture on the sidewalk in front of the Campbell Gallery on Chestnut & Columbus. The owners are not amused by this. They hope the Village Idiot Savant goes elsewhere. ... Anne Lamott, who is always funny, appears at the Jewish Community Center, Dec. 11 at 8 p.m. ... Northside photographer Jane Richey was hired by the famed baritone, Thomas Hampson, to shoot pictures for his website & publicity package. Hampson was here to sing the lead in the S.F. Opera's brilliant production of Macbeth. "I love playing bad guys" Hampson explained. "The most unpleasant guy I've played is Don Giovanni. He is non-redeeming, he spits in God's face. But Macbeth is simply a failed human being. He's what we are all afraid of being -- never knowing right from wrong, living for ambition, materialism." I could not get Hampson to compare Macbeth to what's happening in politics today. "Isn't that the point of Art, to see what going on now? But I'm not going to say Laura Bush is like Lady Macbeth." As for art in San Francisco, Hampson wonders why there is not more of the avant-garde happening here. "It's a complicated city, it has contradictions. Perhaps we're not taking the kinds of risks that we should. But with Michael Tilson Thomas, San Francisco has a real treasure." ...

The closing of venerable Plush Room at the end of the year is making waves around the country. From Beverly Hills, Debby Boone e-mails "I loved that room and will be eternally grateful that I got a chance to make a little music in a place so rich with musical memories. I think my short run at San Francisco's Plush Room with three fabulous musicians paying tribute to Rosemary Clooney was the highlight of my musical career."
"I call them Dadaist accidents," says Sharon Anderson, "Last month I was reading a newspaper obit about Norman Mailer and looked up at the TV set where the Woody Allen's character in Sleeper was saying " ... and then Norman Mailer donated his ego to the Harvard School of Medicine." Mailer's ego was gigantic and so was his talent.

The other day I wandered through The Bargain Bank on Polk Street (it's Costco for the truly indigent). I came across some discounted bottles of Kirshwasser. You know, that clear, German cherry brandy. I could almost hear my father's voice: "It's just not Christmas without Kirschwasser." But I don't think he ever said it because I never heard of the stuff when I was a kid. Besides, he drank Anisette, not Kirschwasser. Anisette, not Absinthe. All the same, I hear that absurd refrain, "It just can't be Christmas without Kirschwasser." Maybe I can get Barnaby Conrad III, the Absinthe expert, to write a book about Kirschwasser. ...

The trees in Huntington Park will be illuminated this year on Dec. 3, at about 5 p.m. I imagine the mayor will be at the party, as will the angelic members of the San Francisco Girls' Chorus. ... Every year I look for that elusive couple who meet there secretly. They never notice me as they embrace near the fountain, that dear, ridiculous, rococo thing with the turtles and dolphins. In the frigid western breeze, you can hear the flag flapping atop the Mark Hopkins. I overhear her whisper hopefully, anxiously, to him, "This is going to be a wonderful Christmas this year, isn't it?" ... He murmurs to her with all the courage he can muster, holding her with all his might, "Yes, my darling, it will be the best." It's a good time to be in love. And so, all best to you. ...

Bruce Bellingham is the author of a book, Bellingham by the Bay. His e-mail is bruce@northsidesf.com


#####


No comments:

Post a Comment