Wednesday, February 18, 2004

Once in a while

ONCE IN WHILE I HAVE TO BE reminded about about why I love living in San Francisco. Silly isn't it? It ... happened while I was I on the Stockton bus yesterday along North Point and noticed there was greenery on Alcatraz ... Can you imagine? ... After the rain, it was all green on The Rock.... Green on the Rock? ....Sure, there is life on the water....

Yesterday, when Examiner columnist Jan Wahl said that Steve Silver was devoted to a transformative notion of performance, it all came together at Club Fugazi in North Beach. In case you don't know, Steve Silver invented "Beach Blanket Babylon" -- San Francisco Steve's widow -- Jo Schuman Silver, who has kept the Silver legacy going. "We've decided to give some money other arts agencies."... And she did ...

'It's amazing." exclaimed Pamela Rosenberg. Pam runs then S.F. Opera. She looked a little stunned as she got a check. Yes, money. Who gives money to the Opera? To ACT? To the the San Francisco Symphony? ... Jo does -- and so the legacy of of Steve Silver endures.

Charlotte Shultz was very funny -- and she held one of those famous, heavy hats from the show -- you know, the one hat depicts the ever-changing cityscape ... Charlotte said, Mayor Gavin was not here today." ...

Of course not. He had larger things looming over his head. Yesterday morning, I could not help but feel I am am one lucky chap. Lucky to be living here in San Francisco. Shameless but true. ...

Here is another reason I believe in San Francisco: Tony Dingman threw a surprise 82nd birthday party for Enrico Banducci at the Washington Square Bar & Grill yesterday. ... Enrico did not show. If it were my 82nd birthday, I would not show up either ...

In Enrico's absence, everyone told him how much they loved him -- I was equaully effusive. ...too. -- Tony Dingman was particularly on point when he said, "Enrico was generous and a terrifcally lovable person." ... It's all true. Enrico gave a few breaks to people, Rod McKuen ... Phyillis Diller ...

It all reminds me how much I do love this town. ....

Here's the Baney day ... Mike Greensill is another reason to love this town. He and Wesla Witfield splash beauty all over the landscape. ... The great sultry jazz singer, Lisa Baney, says, 'Mike Greensill is my hero. He is so supportive of singers ... He is the greatest..."

I got back from Dallas the other morning ... put on Mike Greensill's new album, "Live At The Plush Room" ... and heard that more than supportive version of Sammy Cahn's "I Can't Stop Loving You."

Gosh, I was grateful to be home..

Jo Schuman asked a gathering of media people yesterday at Club Fugazi in North Beach if anyone had been there at the opening night of "Beach Blanket Babylon" in 1974. I was the only one who responded in the affirmative. I didn't know hether to be proud or embarassed. But what is the diffference?

Gosh, I was grateful to be home..

Jan Wahl is right. Art is transformative. And it's right here in our own Beach Blanket Babylon backyard ... When I see the "Beach Blanket Bablyon" experience, where they hang together, love together and swing together again -- again -- I'm reminded that I am home. What I did not tell Jo Schuman is that I once auditioned for Beach Blanket Babylon. That was back in the 1970s. I stood on that same stage with a 12-string guitar and a song in my heart.

I didn't get the part.

Gosh, I was grateful to be home..

And to San Francisco,"I can't stop lovin you."

No comments:

Post a Comment