Tuesday, February 17, 2004

Why not believe?

WE WERE MARRIED ON A rainy day," goes the Paul Simon song. The tune is called "I Do It For Your Love." ... What a great reason to do anything -- it's the best justification of all. ...

Despite the rain, hopeful folks lined the block around the blocks that encircled San Francisco City Hall all through the weekend. Let's face it: Getting married at City Hall will never be the same. But that's the point, isn't it? This weekend was different for every giddy couple who was sure that this is the right thing to do. Gavin Newsom is convinced that this is the right thing to do. Many agree. Even his occasional detractors agree. ...

A new syndrome might have surfaced in a major American city over this Valentine's Day weekend. It's called "wedding fatigue." No, not lassitude from the honeymoon -- or Reno-style remorse -- but for the ones who perform the weddings under national media scrutiny. Particularly when it all goes on for more than 72 hours. ...

On Sunday, Mayor Gavin shuffled into the Balboa Cafe -- which he used to own -- and whispered to Pat Kelley, the doyenne of the Marina, "Am I under the radar?" ... She discreetly sat him at a discreet table in an indiscreet location. ... Gavin's eyes were glassy with weariness. He noshed while his dad, Judge Bill Newsom, is recovering well from serious surgery ... State Sen. John Burton ... and Jim Halligan sat at the bar. ... Then Gavin raced back to City Hall for more of this matrimonial melange. ...

"I find it hard to believe that anyone would take issue with these marriages," said Linda Fimrite. ... Ah, but they will. ... "Why not believe?" ask Rod McKuen. "The cost is negligible."...

"It's all about being an American," says Allen White. "What I mean by that is it is the meaning of having choice." ... Allen is not completely comfortable with the cascade of same-sex marriages at City Hall this weekend: "It puts many of us on a new par with straight people." Then Allen explained his point of view, "I'm not the marrying kind." ...

That's an old song by Elvis Presley. Rod McKuen recalls Elvis: "It was at a stop light in L.A. Elvis pulled up in a Cadillac, rolled down the window, and said, 'Hey, Rod when are you going to write a song for me?'" ... I saw Rod in Dallas this weekend. He was celebrating the launch of his new book of poetry -- his 47th -- called "Rusting In The Rain." ...

Rod said about the deluge of S.F. marriages, "It's so great. It's about the heart. Who could deny it?" ... And it is about redemption -- as all good stories are. Rod McKuen has the ability to turn little stories into memorable songs. Sinatra also said, "Rod, when are you going to write a song for me?" Rod did. He actually wrote an album for him, called, "A Man Alone." ...

Rod McKuen is the Oakland-born, San Francisco-seasoned troubadour who has lived in Beverly Hills since 1969. He made San Francisco even more famous as a literary mecca by the success of "Stanyan Street and Other Sorrows" during the 1960s. ... Like all famous poets, he needs no home address. ...

In the restaurant in the Marriott near the Dallas/Fort Worth Airport, Joann Grisanti, who lives in Houston, saw Rod and exclaimed, "I can't believe you're here. You are my hero." ... It amazes me how many times I have seen this sort of recognition around Rod. I don't think it's groupie stuff. I think it's the way people are attracted to an authentic and loving spirit. ...

There is a precision and simplicity to McKuen's words and lyrics. It hits the mark. "Rod is the best of all Valentine's Day poets," observed his manager, the wonderful Chuck Ashman. "He gets it. Then Rod puts it out there and we all get it. It creates happiness." ...

All right. I'm happy about this. Rod wrote a poem for me. Honest, I did not ask. Yes, he dedicated the last poem in his new book to me. It's called "Caveat," which I guess, is a tribute to my ambivalence. But the message this Valentine's weekend is about taking a chance -- about diving in. ... As Rod writes to me in his verse: "It's all part of the ride." ...

McKuen and I are also having a show at the Commonwealth Club here in S.F. on March 30. ... I will chat him up -- and maybe we'll bring those ukuleles that we bought in Maui last August. ... Please come along and be part of the ride.


No comments:

Post a Comment