Thursday, February 19, 2004

An unfair advantage

IF I KNEW STEROIDS WERE GOOD for writers, I would have taken them a long time ago. ... Ah, yes, you're right. It would not have helped. ... Here in Polk Street's Crepe House, the chit chat over the home fries is all about how Barry Bonds might be implicated in this drug-taking mess. "It's an unfair advantage for sure," said Dan Langley, who is a land surveyor by profession. He's also surveying the cultural scene. ... "Reading the news reports about the owner of Balco, I think it's cool that Victor Conte was the bass player in Tower of Power." ...

Oh, THAT Victor Conte. ... I think that's cool, too. I would be happy to appear as a character witness. But I don't think characters get called as character witnesses. Someone would object. ... I am already off the topic -- likely because of the steroids. ... Tower of Power is a treasure from Oakland -- a swell horn section. Great arrangements. I am not suggesting steroids are involved -- just brass. ...

This reminds me. There's a really terrific song by Elton John and Bernie Taupin. It's called "Little Jeannie." The horn section is, of course, Tower of Power. ... Here's my favorite part of the tune: "You stepped into my life from a bad dream/ making the life that I had seem suddenly shiny and new." ... That's sweet, redemptive stuff. ... Once in a while we go back to that cardiac thump that attaches us to tunes. And I am reminded again that I am alive. Thanks, lads. ...

As I was last night at AnĂș, while the rain came down at 6th and Market at midnight. ... There is nothing like a soft San Francisco rain. It reminds me that this city is, at heart, kind, but simply fearful of showing its compassion sometimes -- as if we are in competition with the big leagues of other cities. ...

But we are in the big leagues. This city of San Francisco is not only defined by its charm and wonderment -- it's defined by its desire to find excellence. ... Beyond that, we're happy to be here. If San Francisco isn't that great, why then is it such an annoyance to the rest of the country?

Here at the Crepe House on Polk Street, where the owner, Philip Issa --who is from Jordan -- plays Turkish music on the house system, I asked for Tower of Power. Philip is still rifling through the archives at my behest. ... At the table next to me yesterday, an Irishman said to me, "The most amazing thing about America is its honest people. For example, you just entrusted me to watch your laptop computer. Are you kidding? In Europe, they'd steal it in a minute." ... There are days when you have to sit still in a Polk Street bistro to learn a little about the world. ...

Here's one of the great things about San Francisco: A sense of honesty. It's enhanced by our young mayor, who has the courage to take a stand. Even -- imagine this -- to have an opinion. ... Gavin Newsom must be tired. Doing the right thing has got to be wearying. ... As Bob Dylan said, "To live outside the law you must be honest." ...

"Gay marriages?" asks Karen Warner. "Why not? Straight people have made such a mess of them already." ... Karen was at Opi's restaurant on Market, where the serene, cool owner, Max Benghazi, watches over the Tenderloin landscape. ... "I love the changes I see here," he said, glancing at the astonishing circus act that revolves around Market and 6th. ... It's Cirque de Soleil without the sunlight. ...

The times are indeed a'changing around here, thanks to Max. I suspect that Max had never thought about the notion of an unfair advantage. Impresario Max does what he does and he does it well. ... He has a goodness about him, and an infectiously good time when he works. And Max works. He pays attention, and he has chops. Not the kind that are on the menu. ... I should take lessons from him. ... Iranian-born, and a cheerful cat, Max embodies the immigrant passion that compels all to do well. I know these things. ... After all, I'm an immigrant from New Jersey ...

Speaking of lessons, George Michalski -- the debonair chap who is often in the company of a dazzling person from some province or another -- calls to say he has no good regard for Bob Dylan. Except perhaps for the line about living outside the law. George wants to revitalize San Francisco's music history. He's already working with Mayor Newsom on a San Francisco Music Commission. ... "I've never had a piano student before," says George, who wrote songs for Barbra Streisand. "But he's arriving in five minutes."

You know what's so great about that? George is still willing to give lessons. And I'm still willing to take them. ... The piano is still a difficult instrument to carry -- but, after all, this is San Francisco. I've got plenty of people to lend me a hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment